Avery Alexandra was born on October 14, 2009. She has had many health issues to battle in her short life and this blog is for our family and friends to stay updated on her progress. We also want to document this process for other families to view who may be going through the same experience. We thank you all for your continued love & support..♥♥

Thursday, October 7, 2010

2nd Surgery & Second Opinion

We met with the CFPS and viewed Avery's latest CT Scan. We could see that the orbit on the right side is stretched higher than the one on her left. In addition, the bone graft on her right side above her eye seems to have not vascularized (meaning blood didn't flow to through the graft) and therefore, the graft no longer seems present. The CFPS was brainstorming the 2nd surgery options right in front of us. He came up with options on how he could fix the problem: bone grafting, bone filler, bone from other parts of her skull, cadaver bone, etc.

The CFPS gave us a few options: (1) wait until she is closer to 5 years old, when her head has stopped growing, to do a pretty invasive touch-up surgery; (2) "re-do" the original surgery right away while she is still young and won't have lasting memory of it; (3) get a second opinion from the CFPSs at UCLA.

We have decided to go to UCLA and see what the CFPS there says. Currently, I am trying to gather all the medical records I can about Avery's condition so that I may share that with the doctors there.

A 2nd surgery is in Avery's future. At this point we are just trying to determine when, how & where. Touch-up, 2nd surgeries are done about 25% of the time & 're-do' surgeries are done about 5% of the time. Risk-factors from surgery are generally the same as with her first surgery.

As always, I will update the blog when there is new information to share.....

No comments:

Post a Comment